Melissa Meek is a 18-year veteran teacher. During that time she has served Tulakes Elementary in Putnam City Schools as a fourth and fifth grade teacher. She has helped implement a sports program for students, ran the after school program, was Teacher of the Year, and has served as mentor teacher to many new educators.
Melissa is great at so many things but she is the best at building relationships with her students and their families. She uses every opportunity of her day to build up and encourage her students. She works side-by-side with her parents to increase student success. Melissa is an incredible teacher!
Below are the questions I prepared to ask Melissa (there were some follow up questions in the podcast that are not included below):
- Tell me about your background in education.
- Why do you believe it is important to build relationships with students? Parents?
- What steps do you take to build a relationship with a new student or family?
- What are the most important things to remember about building relationships with the families you serve?
- Have you ever had a difficult time building a relationship with a student or parent? What did you do?
- How has building a relationship with a student or parent changed the way you interacted with that student or parent?
- How has building relationships with your students transformed you classroom? How has building relationships with your students’ parents transformed your classroom?
- What tips do you have for building relationships with students? with parents?
- What books (resources) have inspired you as you have built relationships with students and parents?
- What advice do you have for new teachers who are struggling to develop relationships with the families that they serve?