Kethzia is a parent educator with Oklahoma City Public Schools’ Parents as Teachers program. Kethzia meets with families regularly to support parents and guardians as they raise their children during the important development years before school entry.
Parents as Teachers is a home visiting program. Parent Educators meet with families, the OKCPS program particularly focuses on families with children between the ages of prenatal and school-aged, with the focus of strengthening families and building protective factors while connecting families to necessary resources.
Many school districts have a parent educating programs used to bridge the gap between home to school. Through this interview I wanted to engage educators in understanding a program that they may not be aware of in their school district and further glean lessons from home visiting that could be translated into school and classroom practices.
So, what is home visiting? I had to figure that out when I started working for OKCPS. Parent Educators meet with families, our program particularly focuses on families with children between the ages of prenatal to school-aged, with the focus of strengthening families and building protective factors. Kethzia is an excellent parent educator! If you are interested in knowing more about Parents as Teachers, click the link.
Below are the questions I prepared to ask Kethzia (there were some follow up questions in the podcast that are not included below):
- Background/educational experience.
- What is home visiting?
- Tell us about the particular model that you use?
- What does the model you follow offer the parents you serve?
- Is there a benefit for parents participating in a home visiting program?
- Are there results beyond participating in the program for families?
- What could classroom teachers take away from the home visiting model?
- Do you see a benefit to teachers using home visiting to connect parents to the classroom?
- What recommendations would you have for classroom educators considering using home visiting their students’ parents?
- What are the obstacles classroom educators should consider before home visiting?
- How might using home visiting support classroom practices?
- What resources have inspired/guided you as a home visitor?
- What advice do you have for teachers considering implementing home visiting in their classroom?
This episode was recorded at Design Tunnel in downtown OKC!