Elections are upon us! Early Voting begins today (11/1/18) and lasts through Saturday (11/3/18) and the official Election Day is November 6th! If you are interested in voting early – this link will take you to the information you need. Voting is an important right and I hope that all of you exercise that right on Tuesday. If your are looking for resources, check out last weeks blog post and podcast with Shari Gateley about Everyday Advocacy.
For this episode I interviewed Representative Jason Dunnington. Jason represents House District 88 in the state of Oklahoma and is soon to enter into his third term. Since his first election he has been a proeducation advocate. Throughout our conversation we discussed the upcoming election and the future legislative session including how educators can continue to engage in the process! You can find Representative Dunnington on Twitter @jdunnington or on Facebook.
Below are the questions I prepared to ask Representative Dunnington (there were some follow up questions in the podcast that are not included below):
- Introduce yourself
- Why is this election important for our state?
- How can educators… educate themselves on the upcoming elections?
- In what ways can educators support pro-education candidates in these final days?
- What should educators do going forward (reference 1990 walk out and subsequent election) to ensure that we are not in the same place 10 … 20 years from now?
- In what ways should educators engage their legislators going forward?
- What are the best ways to stay informed? (some bills/info coming out of 23rd and Lincoln can be complicated and convoluted)
- What is your charge to legislators, where do we go next to continue (re)building our state?
- How do we as a state move forward after the elections? What keeps you hopeful that we will have a vision for our state’s future?
- What is your vision for the remainder of your time as a legislator?
- What are you excited about going into the next legislative session? What are you hoping will be discussed/passed?
- Which elections are you looking forward to watching?
- What are your go-to resources for information about elections?
This episode was recorded at Design Tunnel in downtown OKC!