We’ve all half listened to a flight attendant inform us that in the event of a plane’s decompression an oxygen mask will drop down in front of you. They go on to explain how to put the oxygen mask on and then the flight attendant says “if you are traveling with a child or someone who requires assistance, secure your mask on first, and then assist the other person.” They tell us this because they know that a person is useless in an emergency situation if they have not cared for themselves first.
Sometimes this happens to us as educators, we forget to take care of ourselves in order to care for those who rely on us daily. Education is an exhausting job and we need to make sure that self-care is a priority! Todd Whitaker says,
“The best thing about being a teacher is that it matters. The hardest thing about being a teacher is that it matters every day.”
So exercise, go for a walk, hike, hug, take a bubble bath, color, journal, read a book, talk to a friend – do whatever it is you need to bring your best for your students every day.
For this episode, I interviewed Lindsay Simpson. Lindsay is an NASM Certified Personal Trainers as well as a wife and mother of 3. She has a passion for helping others achieve their health, well-being, self-love, and care goals. She is the woman behind Fitness with Lindsay, which provides fitness advice, tips and motivation for helping others achieve their fitness goals.
Below are the questions I prepared to ask Lindsay:
- Tell us who you are and what you do.
- Why did you start doing the work that you do? What drives it?
- What is self-care?
- Why is self-care important?
- You work with a lot of teachers and other care professionals – why is it important for them to focus on self-care?
- What role does self-care play in overall health, mental or physical?
- What are healthy self-care options?
- How do teachers develop a practice of self-care?
- How can teachers carve time out of their day for self-care?
- Why is a focus on health, mental and physical, important to overall well being?
- What practical steps can educators take towards being healthy?
- In what ways does a focus on individual health impact all other aspects of your life?
- What are your go-to resources?
This episode was recorded at and mastered by Design Tunnel in downtown OKC!