For this episode of Passing Notes I interviewed recently retired educator, Kevin Lynch. Kevin is a former teacher, university professor, has provided support to teachers through grants across the state, and a former school administrator. I know Kevin because he was one of my teachers at East Central University. From the first day in his class I was amazed at his ability to create a culture of safety and acceptance where students felt comfortable to share their thoughts, ideas, hopes, and dreams about education. I of course had to visit with him about building culture as an educational leader.
- What does culture look like in your current position? Where does growth or change need to occur?
- What does your school community value? How are those values represented in the culture, mission, and vision of the school?
- What are the subcultures at your school site? How do they impact the entire school?
- How does your school culture impact your students’ success?
- Who are the community stakeholders that are important to developing school culture?
- What steps can you take to cultivate a strong, positive school culture?