Erin Barnes is a principal and former teacher of Epic Charter Schools. She is also a co-host of the OklaSaid Podcast and the producer of the podcasts The Emancipation Podcast Station and Navigating School.
I sat down with Erin to talk about how thinking outside the box and allowing students to demonstrate mastery through a variety of means provides educators with a more authentic forms of assessment.
- What do you currently use to assess student mastery?
- Do you currently use any alternative forms of assessment when determining student mastery?
- What alternative forms of assessment have been the most effective for you?
- Have you ever considered using student podcasting to determine student mastery? How would creating a student podcast help you identify mastery and needs for remediation?
- What other forms of authentic assessments have you tried or considered trying? How did this experience grow your thinking about assessments or student mastery?
- What are your next steps towards changing assessments in your classroom?